The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has issued a cautionary bulletin urging investors considering funds with exposure to the Bitcoin futures market to weigh carefully the potential risks and benefits of the investment. The bulletin describes Bitcoin and Bitcoin futures as “highly speculative” investments and sets out factors for investors to consider before investing in funds that buy or sell Bitcoin futures. This latest Bitcoin-related risk warning follows a staff note sent out last month, warning investors interested in investing in a mutual fund with exposure to the Bitcoin futures market to think twice due to the risks. The latest warning notes that while investments in all types of funds involve risk, funds that buy or sell Bitcoin futures may have unique characteristics and heightened risks compared to others.
- EU plans to ban large anonymous transfers of cryptocurrency as an anti-money laundering measure 20 July 2021
- SFC announces Binance not licensed to sell stock tokens in Hong Kong 16 July 2021
- UAE is considering launching a digital currency 12 July 2021
- Russia to allow authorities to confiscate illegally obtained digital assets 7 July 2021
- UK regulator warns against investing with unregistered crypto companies 23 June 2021