Sources close to the Biden administration have revealed that it is in the early stages of developing a regulatory approach to cryptocurrencies. According to sources, the newly appointed SEC chair is waiting for direction from the Treasury as to the overarching policy on crypto regulation before establishing a specific regulatory approach. The key areas under consideration include infrastructure and taxation. There have also been reports that the SEC is continuing to debate whether to approve a bitcoin ETF. There have been reports that the Biden administration is concerned about the crypto markets, and about investor protection issues and the potential rise of China’s digital yuan, in particular.
- EU plans to ban large anonymous transfers of cryptocurrency as an anti-money laundering measure 20 July 2021
- SFC announces Binance not licensed to sell stock tokens in Hong Kong 16 July 2021
- UAE is considering launching a digital currency 12 July 2021
- Russia to allow authorities to confiscate illegally obtained digital assets 7 July 2021
- UK regulator warns against investing with unregistered crypto companies 23 June 2021